Other names: I think a better name is Confidence because:
What it is?
A note capturing author’s certainty, effort, counter-factuals, and sources of evidence. a note think it’s valuable to include a note on epistemic status in all writing.
I plan to add it to all my essays.
What I want to include
- Certainty: What I believe can be different to what evidence is pointing to. I think making this explicit may explain a lot to a reader, bring clarity where I am going with this line of reasoning and be influencing their believes. Perhaps also use percentage points on some verbs “55%certain” when in need to specify certainty in more detail
- Sometimes the way beliefs don’t go through a linear, empiricist deduction process. Sometimes intuitive connections can be very valuable at arriving at non-consensus findings or for starting new pathways of inquiry.
- Evidence: what is evidence, where it comes from
- Epistemic effort: how much time or effort I spent on thinking or validating the claims
- Antithesis: doing something on the spot, even to train this muscle is very helpful See: Antithesis