Top Ideas for reversing aging
- Exercise He said that even 10 min intensive run a few days a week might be enough
- Be hungry a few days a week He does intermittent fasting by often skipping breakfast, not eating for two days is one of the best way to clear out the cellular damage)
- Limit carbohydrates You also want be insulin sensitive, having a lot of insulin receptors, not having blood glucose go high. One of the best predictor of your longevity is your blood glucose levels (that's why you want to exercise)
- Eat plant based diet M-tor senses how many amino acids you are eating. You don’t want a lot of m-tor activity. If you will be eating a lot of protein or stake the m-tor will be always active. It will be telling your cells to grow rather than fighting diseases and hunkering down (37:00). That’s why he switched from meat diet to plant based diet (especially applicable to red meat).
- Avoid sun exposure This person was sunburn on the one side of the face:
What is aging?
In an old person cells are loosing identity. It's like a nerve cell is starting to partially become a skin cell.
Genetic information is digital (four A,C,T,G nucleobasis). The epigenetic information is analog and this is the part that "scratches". The same way like CD or DVD where scratched.
This are twins mice. Mouse on the right had their epigenetic information "scratched".
Dna methalon is measuring how many methyl groups that are pairing with C cytosine is a very easy predictor of aging. Yamanaka nobel price winer managed to wipe out all the methylations from the dna and reverted the cell to the stemcell. Sinclair talks about his research to reprogram the nerve cell in the mouse retina and grow a damaged one back. Main particles that helps revert aging: mnm (he takes it himself), metomorfin (a diabities drug, lot of trials, takes it himself), rapamcin (more tricky to take, could be toxic).